Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Student Essay: A look into the eyes of James “Rhio” O'Connor

James "Rhio" O'Connor
“If I were given a dire cancer prognosis;
A look into the eyes of James “Rhio” O'Connor a synopsis”

By Jamila K. Smith, Phoenix College Student Spring 2010

James “Rhio” O'Connor was diagnosed with Mesothelioma cancer. The correct definition of Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer in which cancerous cells are found in the mesothelium a protective sac that covers most of the body's internal organs. There are two main types of Mesothelioma – pleural, which involves the sac that covers the pleural cavity around the lungs, and peritoneal, which involves the tissue that covers the abdominal area.

If given a dire cancer prognosis, I would first begin by choosing my path of research based upon the type of cancer I had been diagnosed with. Then with this information, I would begin extensive research on the disease, to make myself familiar with my situation. Like when given any situation in my life, I would first sit and make a list of things to do, in order to begin thorough research on the cancer. This would ensure no steps were left out, or no stones left unturned, seeing as though this would depend on my life's expectancy.

Step one: would involve doing epidemiological research (gathering data by human participants, data, biological samples, an include obtained important new knowledge from any an all obtain resources).

Step two: would be to start clinical research involving extensive research in experimental medications and their long and short-term effects on current and past patients. With that data, I would begin my own process of elimination on what would work best. Deciding factors in my research would include but not be limited to my current age at the time of discovery of the disease. I would use the time line given to me by doctors.   Also, I would get more than one opinion when being seeing by doctors, exploring different methods including conventional ways of medication, as well as unconventional methods. I would explore new uses for approved drugs that are considered more than minimal risk, and therefore cannot be reviewed by the expedited mechanism.

Two situations call for somewhat different solutions. The first situation is that of repeat occurrences of the spread or outbreak of the disease. I would treat myself with what doctors call the model protocol as well as add in unconventional methods obtained through my research adding and subtracting methods as I deem necessary. I would move forward with the proven methods gathered from my research, taking notes as I go, with hopes that the information and notes taken might help another individual in my situation. This would prolong the takeover of the disease (By using and including several treatment protocols and doing various clinical trials). Adding proven diet and exercise to my clinical research if this is a proven way of improvement.

Step three: would be to draw conclusions about the proven methods that have helped sustain or prolong the weakness in my health, based upon time lines an the length of how much time to put into each researched method.  I would give each method an equivalent value of time. Also, I would be adamant in exhausting all possibilities in each method to properly rule out any unproven methods being used, or even to know when to properly use a method, or when to include a method, sequencing each trail in a manner to work for each individual person.

Step four: would be to check references to studies and any research already done prior to my diagnosis.   I would note the references, for example checking into chemo, radiation and surgery. Noting where this reference was found and its conclusions and proven and unproven facts. I would note the time given to each reference in-particular study and again note trail and error in each reference. I would begin to narrow down proven working and non-working methods in references as also done in steps one, two and three. 

Based upon my notes, proven methods, epidemiological research, clinical research and checked references, I should be able to properly draw a conclusion to all my research with proven facts that would eventually help someone else down the line and prolong or even find a complete cure to the disease.  Not giving up and realizing that in this process trail and error is going to happen and there will be relapse in methods; this is a part of the recovery process. Any discovery weather big or small is exactly that.  A discovery that has been made where one wasn't one before.


Note: This is being published at the request of the student as a scholarship application requirement.

1 comment:

  1. You have the Edge! You now have an "insiders view" of the Exam in every detail, in the exact Environment and patterns as test day! Gain Confidence and reduce study time. You are targeting your study efforts by studying exactly the way it will be on the exam, on a computer like the actual exam will be presented. 90 multiple choice questions per exam will be simulated. Updated for 2010.
    Pharmacy Technician

    Certification Exam Simulation Software.

    ReplyDelete