Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Meet the Artist: PC Student Nancy Joplin


The annual Phoenix College Holiday Art Sale will feature original arts and crafts created by PC students, staff and faculty. Come out to the Eric Fischl Gallery on December 7-8 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and support our talented Phoenix College artists while finding great holiday gifts for everyone on your list.

Reminder: only cash will be accepted as payment.

Also, take time to meet the artists who will be selling their pieces. Read about them in the Q & A below.

Nancy Joplin


Where did you grow up, and where do you live now?


I grew up in Northern Illinois and moved to Phoenix in 1988 mainly because of the Chicago winters.

How did you come to take classes at Phoenix College?

Phoenix College is literally a minute away from my house. I began taking classes as a hobby. I wanted to learn piano, so I took piano classes. I wanted to learn how to design websites, so I took a web design class. I wanted to learn to make jewelry and I took some lost wax casting classes. The ceramics classes always seemed to be full when I first started going to PC, so when a class finally opened up, I scheduled it and have been here ever since.

Tell me about your experience at Phoenix College?

I have always found PC to be a good fit. Art classes have been my main focus. It's been great watching the Fine Art Department evolve with the new building and the Eric Fischl Gallery opening in 2010. I have found many long lasting friendships at PC. During that time, I served many years on the Alumni Board and Alumni Executive Board and I currently am a member of the President's Advisory Board.

What type of art are you doing and how did you get there?

I've always wanted to learn ceramics and once I started, I couldn't stop. I learn hand-building as well as throwing and can't really say which I like better. I'm still learning things every day from other students as well as the instructors. There is so much to learn not just about how to make or form an object, but there is the clay and glazes and how they interact with each other.

Why do you do the art that you are doing now?

I love the feel of the clay and molding it into objects. Over time, I developed a pattern of making everything I make useful. It's funny how you look back on things and see a pattern that you unknowingly develop. I'm branching out, or at least trying to.

What other interest do you have?

There are lots of things that interest me. I love animals and nature like many people. I like everything from scuba diving to home projects. I volunteer with a group called Creative Arts in Healing. We conduct clay workshops about twice a month at The Wellness Community, which is a local cancer support program.

No comments:

Post a Comment